Thursday, August 2, 2018

✏️ writing pt. 3 (beda day 2)

2. write for money?

what a vague prompt. whenever i encounter things like these, words of wisdom from my ap lit teacher come to me - "interpret as you may". and so i shall.

i talked a little bit in the previous post about the book i wrote as a kid. around that time, i think i was considering being an author. creative writing was always one of my favorite things as a kid. even though a lot of my content is pretty cringeworthy in retrospect, i'm pretty sure i was a heckuva lot more creative back then.

when i was even younger, i was really into comic books. not even reading comics, but making comics. when i was 5 or 6, if i wasn't drawing larry-boy or really bad depictions of batman, i was working on stories with my original characters. and in the classic homemade comic format, mind you. printer paper folded in half, illustrations in panels, staples in the spine. that's something you don't see much of nowadays.

i blame captain underpants. my best friend and i were avid readers of the series, so i guess that's partly where our inspiration for making comics came from. that and our obsession with flip-o-rama. the fact that a captain underpants movie was released just last year is still mind-boggling to me. i still haven't seen it though.

when i got a little bit older, my vision for my characters expanded. i wanted to adapt my comics into graphic novels, with a separate series for each character featuring the occasional team-up and mini crossover (naturally). eventually, each title would lead to one massive crossover event, which would consolidate all of the titles into one main series. i also figured that if the graphic novels were successful, they'd make for one heckuva tv show. but even back then, i knew i'd need to hire artists who can draw worth beans.

i actually finished writing the final storyline for the series a couple of years ago. it was kinda bittersweet. a lot of characters died, which is really weird because back when i was younger i hated it when characters died. but writing the conclusion to the series as a teenager who'd absorbed so much creative content from books, comics, and movies/tv... the deaths seemed very fitting. they still made me sad though. i still haven't finished the illustrations because just thinking about it makes me emotional.

side note: i haven't named my novel or any of my comic book characters because i don't want to risk people stealing my ideas. even though it probs wouldn't happen anyway. hahaha!

anyway! back to writing. wow i'm so tangent-prone.

there are so many cool and crazy things about life itself that make me think "hey, what if there were a story where...". if i were an author, i'd probably have no shortage of inspiration. but writing also takes motivation. that's harder.

when i'm writing about something that interests me or something that i've created myself, it's a pretty great experience. and if i were to get paid for it, that would just be a bonus. money is nice and all, but creativity is its own reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment