Thursday, August 16, 2018

✏️ writing pt. 8 (beda day 16)

16. i write better when...

oh no... i've already talked about this... i even talked about it yesterday... what poor foresight...

right now i'm writing this at a starbucks i've never been to before in a city i hardly know. it's not even 8:30 yet. i keep yawning.

that being said, this environment is great for writing. the music is nice (but kinda simp-y), the food is decent, and i found an outlet with which to charge my phone. boo-yah.

man, it's been a long time since i've written a post on my phone. haven't done it since... before this challenge, even. there's something weirdly peaceful about it. instead of texting or playing plants vs zombies or scrolling through r/jokes, i get to enjoy this time all to myself. it's just me, my thoughts, and the moment.

side note: this is getting hecka feelsy. it's like i wrote about yesterday's prompt today and today's prompt yesterday. don't worry about it...

yeah! environment's pretty important to the way i write. this spot's pretty quiet so that's nice. of course, i said before that i write better in buzzy places too. i guess the only places that would be detrimental to my writing would be those of unbearable din or utter silence. that would be unpleasant, to say the least.

originality... originality... originality...

oh! here's something new!

i write more productively when i'm emotional. i don't mean that i write my best posts sobbing into a pile of tissues while listening to la la land. it's just that being happy, sad, anxious, frustrated, depressed, contemplative, peaceful or whatever can help me put a little more oomph into what i say.

i talked a little bit before about how inspiration affects my writing. being inspired is a little bit different than being emotional. sometimes being uninspired will still create a post as i put into words how distressed i am about it. like my multiple descriptions of the writing rut. or sometimes i feel inspired to write but in a logical way rather than an emotional way, like when i systematically ripped apart starbucks and apple and nike with my pickle-ham-cheese sandwich. great post. one of my faves. check it out if you want.

sometimes inspiration and emotion go hand in hand. sometimes they slap each other in the face. sometimes they come to a begrudging truce and scrape together an acceptable piece of writing. but it all works out eventually.

hmm... third factor... third factor...

oh! here's another new thing!

i write better when it helps other people. i know that seems kinda weird since i write my posts as though i'm not expecting anyone to see them. but according to my stats page, i have a mediocre (but existent!!) amount of views on my blog. so my great hope is that someday, someone will read one of my posts and find some sort of inspiration or humor or meaning in it. maybe it's already happened! i wouldn't know...

i don't think i could be a motivational writer. i barely had the motivation to move to this chair to use the outlet (even though i really need to keep my battery life up). that being said, i don't want my writing to be demotivational either. there's enough demotivation floating around the world without me throwing more into it. i think, then, i'll settle for writing about life itself. the ups and downs, the goods and bads, the triumphs and tribulations. there's a lesson to be learned in every experience. sometimes that lesson is pretty significant. but knowledge is knowledge. so i take down all the details of my experiences - the big, the small, the in-betweens. and i jot 'em down here.

if i can help just one person through my writing, that's already more than i can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment